Sunday 19 January 2014

Peter Harrison Planetarium!

Those who know me will know that I love astrology, anything to do with the skies, stars and planets I absolutely love!! I can spends hours just sitting or even standing outside looking up at the sky, it just amazes me what is out there... I'm always excited when we can see other planets in the night sky. Even though it looks like a bright star, knowing that it's Mars or Jupiter somehow excites me haha

So where's best to go than the Planetarium itself?!! My cousin is also into the same thing, so I thought I'd take her for her birthday :) Didn't know what I was going to expect going there cos I'd never been and their site just said there's some shows and galleries on and I just booked an Astro Ticket which is for the Royal Observatory & Planetarium Show.

Upon arrival, the scenery was already amazing, how it overlooked the city in the horizon. 
And of course I took photos! :)



 
Prime Meridian Of The World
I had actually always wondered why UK's time is GMT+0:00 and everyone else is either minus or plus, I now know why... haha an educational trip as well as for leisure! Two birds with one stone! lol 
Looking through a telescope, you'd expect to see out of it and into the sky right? Not this one... LOL what you see on the other end when you look in, is this TINY projected image of a Saturn... It made me laugh cos I was not expecting that at all... Haha
Times around the world 
Just had to find my native country haha
Oh, now this was my disappointment of the day... The 28 inch telescope, I was actually hoping to look out of it but you had to book special sessions in the evening when they open the globe up... I did not know this... Was quite sad about it because it was the thing I was most looking forward to!! Maybe next time...
There was a nice little cafe on the lower ground where you can just relax, have a bite and a drink! There's an outdoors part which you can sit out in as well as indoors, good for any weather :) The drinks and cake prices were standard for a London attraction.
 Now this cheese toastie was NOT worth it's price... At £5.50 I got this sandwich and what they call a "salad"... I could have made a dozen of these with that money... Shameful. But that's how they make their money!
Heading to the Planetarium to see: The Sky Tonight
You go into this room which the chairs are positioned so you can see the ceiling above for the show, it's a massive dome which the show is projected onto. It was pretty cool, but I must warn you... If you're tired, you WILL fall asleep... haha it's inevitable... I mean, the room is dark, you're lying down, there's calming images and colours on the ceiling... It really is the formula to getting to sleep! So I may have missed 5 or 10 minutes of the show... And that's why there's no other pictures to show you what I was seeing haha I'm sorry...
I just LOVE the sunset!!! I'm literally obsessed with the damn sky! You will see a lot more of it in my future posts, that I will not deny... haha 

Overall, I did have a pleasant time there, learning and enjoying the view :) I definitely do recommend visiting at least once! And possibly book that viewing with the telescope!! It's a great place to take kids as well because there's a lot you can learn there, there's also these interactive rooms for kids to get their brains working and questions answered! There's also tours which you can sign up for I think... So there's quite a good amount of things to do there! Hope you enjoyed this post :D

Address: Royal Observatory, Blackheath Ave, London SE10 8XJ

x

No comments:

Post a Comment