Saturday 7 June 2014

Korean Spicy Rice Cakes! [Recipe]

I actually love cooking and baking and I will share the recipes I love on here with you guys :D

One thing about me though is that I only cook when I like the kitchen! I'm weird like that. I hate cooking in confined areas or if the kitchen is messy, my kitchen is a bit of both hence why you don't see me cooking a lot lol when I cook, it tends to be at someone else's house which will be at my cousin's for this post! :P

If you've been reading my posts recently, you'd have notice that I've been loving the Korean Spicy Rice Cakes recently! So why not attempt to make my own? The recipe I followed was adapted from my friend Julie's ! You can check out her blog linked on her name :P

Let's get started!



Serves: 6-7 people



Ingredients:
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 & 1/2 spring onions
  • 1 onion
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 1 litre of water (I used hot water)
  • 3 tbsp dermerara sugar (or any sugar you want to use)
  • 3 tbsp chicken seasoning powder (I prefer this to chicken stock but you can use chicken stock too)
  • 3 & 1/2 tbsp hot pepper paste
  • 2 packets of ramen noodles
  • 750g fresh rice cakes (more preferred than frozen rice cakes)
  • 3 slices of fish cakes
  • sesame seeds to garnish
Method:

1. Prepare all the ingredients! Dice/mince the garlic, chop up both the onions however you like, slice the carrots, prepare the fish cakes and slice them up however you like and I like to halve the rice cakes too!

2. In a hot pan, add a little oil and stir in the garlic, onions, spring onions (white half) and carrots. Cook until they are slightly brown.

3. Then add in 3/4 of the water, sugar, seasoning and paste. Mix it well.

4. Once it starts simmering, add in the ramen noodles and cook it until it starts to break up.

5. Add in the fish cakes and rice cakes. Cook until the sauce has slightly thickened and rice cakes become nice and spongy, remember to keep stirring!  You can add the rest of the water if you find it getting too thick. When it's ready, reduce the heat.

6. Transfer to a bowl and garnish with some chopped spring onions and sesame seeds! (Optional)


7. EAT! It tastes nicer when freshly made, a few hours later and it becomes a bit mushy... 


Notes:

If you feel that you need to add or reduce the ingredients, is entirely up to you! I made it to my preference of course :) My family and I thoroughly enjoyed this! We were able to handle the spiciness. If you can't you can try reducing the amount of paste added and if you like spicy feel free to load up on the paste! Haha remember to taste it as you go along!! 

The paste does thicken quite quick too so you may find you need to add some more water but do this a little at a time!

Happy cooking!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment