Tuesday 25 February 2014

Budapest! Day 3 ~

On the third day, because it was raining, we decided to make that day an indoors day! First stop

Central Market Hall

Address: 1093 Budapest, Vámház körút 1-3, Hungary


This is apparently the oldest and largest indoor market in Budapest, it has 3 floors. The top floor consists of souvenirs and food, ground floor has meat, fruit & veg, spices and pastries and the basement has a fish and butchers. We didn't go down there because the smell was too overwhelming and we didn't want to spend the rest of our day stinking of fish LOL how attractive would that be...

 I really wanted to try these Langos but I was just so full from breakfast that I couldn't eat!! I was quite gutted about this! I can't remember why we headed to the market first as the original plan was to come here at lunch so we could try everything. It was probably nearer to where we were at the time so we headed here first. Shame really! We tried a Hungarian sausage and had a hot chocolate but that was it lol such a pitty... I loved the hot chocolate I had though! So yum! :)

 After exploring the 2 floors we made our way to 

Heroes' Square

Address: 1146 Budapest, Hősök tere, Hungary
 

 My first reaction to seeing the square upon arrival was "Woah, it's so empty!!" haha I was actually expecting there to be a bit of a crowd like you would find at Trafalgar Sq in London. It worked in my favour though as I could get clear shots like these :) even in the rain, it still looks beautiful. There were also 2 museums on both sides but we didn't have time to go check them out!
I love spacious areas so I loved this square! I only saw the one square whilst in Budapest though so I can't compare  it to the others lol.
 The statues are of the leaders of the seven tribes that founded Hungary in the 9th century and other outstanding figures of Hungarian history - Wikipedia :P 
 Across the road behind Heroes' Square, we stumbled across an ice rink! But it was closed probably due to the weather? I'm not sure, but it created a cool looking fog :)

After looking around, we headed to the information center and booked a cruise on the Danube !  There was a buffet option available but we took the complimentary drinks ticket instead. We even got a student discount on the ticket! :P neither of us are students if you haven't already gathered haha sweet!
 Getting on the boat.
Table set for the buffet.
 We sat on the upper floor of the boat and got some nice views!
There was live music on deck and it really gives you the Hungarian feel to it, if you were to hear the music you'll think of Hungary haha was a nice touch to the boat ride :)
 The Hungarian Parliament building.
The Gellert hill is on the top right, there's a restaurant located there as well which gives you an amazing view of the river! There will be a post on that restaurant later ;)

After the cruise we walked in the direction to the Ice Bar as we booked a slot there for 9:40pm whilst looking for a place to eat as well! Stumbled across a steak house and ate there!  Had to rush a bit near the end because we were running late to our slot but seriously, when we got to the place it was the smallest bar I'd ever been in. You really don't need to book cos it was pretty empty... Got to take cool pictures though haha

Ice Bar

Address: 1056 Budapest, Váci utca 82.

 Oh my... The gloves they give you to wear STINKS!!! You really need to wash your hands afterwards... Cos you don't want to be touch or eat anything after you smelt those hands... Nasty...

Because it was close to Valentine's Day, they had a Valentine's theme which was pretty cute :)
 
We got glasses made of ice with drinks in them and those that know me, know I LOVE EATING ICE! So I cracked that glass and chomped on a bit LOL Then I realised my glove... And stopped... LOL

We headed back to the apartment afterwards and went to bed! And that was our last night... haha not really a bunch of partiers here lool

Last day post coming soon!!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment